Pages

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Middle of the Winter Musings

I have started to notice a phenomenon in the last few weeks, just about the time that I figured that we had enough winter. I started to hear conversations. Today, in the grocery store when I was minding my own business, I heard a woman say, "I hope you have a great time on your trip to Mexico." She was not talking to me.

At the belly dancing class, I heard, "No, we aren't going anywhere exotic on our holidays. We're going to Hawaii."

At our book group today, Mary gave a synopsis of her planned trip to Mexico and Belize. Her first stop is Isla Mujeres. The Island of Women. She is staying at the hotel I stayed at when I went there on two journeys, Hotel Francis Arlene, a family-run hotel that truly felt like home-away-from-home after an afternoon at the beach or after travels inland. I went there in 1993 with my friends BJ and Monique. We spent a lot of time laughing and staying up late with music and partying from outside. I didn't tell Mary that part.

The phenomenon happens everywhere. At work. A co-worker said, "I plan on spending the entire two weeks on the beach." I am a magnet, it seems, to conversations about travels far away.

Not that I am envious, oh, no...

Rose and I are planning a trip to Castlegar. Maybe even Trail.

No comments: