Pages

Monday, February 25, 2008

Travelling Light

When you live on the side of a mountain, everything it seems is either uphill or downhill. So appropriate it is that I live in a part of the city called Uphill. There are many people who live much higher than me, so when I tell people where I live, I say lower Uphill. Still, it is not a breeze in the park to walk to and from work. My journey usually involves bags hung over my shoulder, that contain lunch, papers, books, and my purse.

I decided this week that I wanted to travel lighter. The opportunity came the day when my friend and I made a lunch date - no lunch to carry - that was one less bag. Then I thought of how I might carry even less. Really there was very little required from my purse, and with pockets in my jacket, I was set.

What I did need was lunch money, and a debit card just in case. Hmmm... what could be compact enough, yet secure? I had an idea:

There are a lot of advantages to my new bag:
- When I'm in a hurry, it is easy to find just the right coins I need.
- It is waterproof. (I actually haven't submerged it in a vat of water yet but hey, it's water resistant enough for me.)
- Got a receipt? It'll hold that too!

So far I have found only one disadvantage:
- Keep it away from heat sources.

The check-out cashier at the Kootenay Co-op agreed that I was on to something. I think it's going to be a trend.

No comments: