Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Move

It is official; I have moved to the new office. And this week, I facilitated the career exploration workshop in the new space. The new program room is 2 l/2 times the size of the other one, so we had lots of room to move the tables around, and I created a new configuration each day (one of my favourite pastimes).

Here is my new office...









This new space (a satellite office) was renovated just before Christmas; with the combination of new furniture and carpet, etc, there is some major off gassing. In addition to an air purifier, someone suggested that we fill the space with plants. Especially spider plants. My plants have been producing lots of offspring so I set out on the task of getting them into containers for the office. Lucky for me, the lack of snow allowed me to get into the storage shed, and double luck was that there was a perfect pot - that could be used either on a desk or hanging up. How perfect!

After the trip to find potting soil, I repotted four perfect spider plants in their new pot, and we were on the way to the office. It was a rainy day (in the middle of winter??) and perhaps that is what was prompting me to move quickly. I picked up the pot in my right arm, closed the car trunk with my left, and then the balance in my arm shifted, and the plant was on the ground. I stared at the ground (what I needed was an undo button). Pieces of white plastic dotted the black earth on the pavement. No need to bring it inside now. I gathered what I could and placed the remnants on a plastic bag in the trunk. The next few days, I went on a quest for a new pot, and none were in the stores; finally, I asked a coworker. On Saturday, I realized that the spider plant had had no light at all for 5 days....

But they survived! I figure they are a typical Canadian - from some hardy stock.

Winter in this land has been very odd. Very little snow accumulation and lots of rain. Still, it has its challenges because there are plenty of clouds and grey skies. Saturday morning when I awoke, we were in the mists. The skies were somewhat promising in that the sun was trying to peak through, but it didn't happen. This is what I saw out my deck doors...



After picking up a Dairy Dandy Latte, I decided to travel uphill; six blocks from my house, this was the scene...



And that is what life is like in the mountains. *sigh*

No comments: